Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Hair woes, and blues


Does your hair MAKE or BREAK you when it comes to working out?

Pic from BGLH

So lets think.. Ummmm  if had to make a choice to have a the hot body, or the hot hair, which one would you choose?

Sadly when it comes to us brown girls, 3 out of 10 would pick the hot hair.

But I’m just thinking out loud, no finger point or judgment from me. I have been in the same boat; get my hair done then I use to have to think umm how will I do this!! But I have learned SO much over the past 8 months I know now that you don’t really have to choose. We just need to re-evaluate our style choices!! Now 3 out of 10 girls you can stop letting your hair disrupt your healthy.

Now the all important style choices.. We have the all natural girls. BY FAR THE BEST work out hair style for us brown girls. Then you have the twist, braid, and weaves coming in at a nice second place then final you have the updo.

The biggest question I had was can I wash my hair? Keeping the moisture in your hair is the most important with any style! You can not get away from sweat when working out. And too much sweat can be super drying and therefore damaging to your hair. So what I learned “ try and limit your shampoo days to once a week (pH balanced/sulfate free suds of course) and opt for either a dry shampoo (if you have relaxed, natural blown out hair, weave or locks), suds less shampoo, or a rinse and condition regimen (if you have natural hair that is not heat manipulated/dependent) on the days your drenched in sweat.”

Look in to some new hair product that will make you hair healthier. I have worked out off and on my entire life I’ve had relaxers, and now natural hair. And I can say that the key to working out and maintaining your hair style is the way you style it. Since I went natural leave-in conditioner is my HOMIE. I use it before and after workouts. And I learned with natural blown out hair use heat protecting or anti-reversion styling products. They protect the hair from heat and environmental damage. Recommendations: Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner, Keihl’s Hair Conditioner and Grooming Aid Formula 133, and John Frieda Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight Semi-Permanent Styling Spray.

Who wants to spend hours and dollars at the salon only to sweat it out in bootcamp class? Not one person I know. So my thoughts are spend money on your hair now, and even more on medical bills later? LOL.. Okay I’ll stop it.. Go natural it feels good and you look good.. LOL okay again I’ll stop.. But really.. If you get your hair done on Saturdays then, take Sundays off and start with some low impact workout light cardio and increase the work out as it gets closer to your hair appointment…

When doing your updos Pull it and wear a head band to help it stay dry... But with what ever your style is play around with ways to make it through a week and still look good and get fit!! Try not to worry about rocking the cotton hair bands they hold down your edges and a silk scarf can’t handle sweat and 30 mins is not going to break off your edge. Also to lock in moisture, oil your scalp and edges pre workout. I like jojoba oil, and olive oil. The oil will definitely help repel some of the super drying sweat you accumulate in Body Combat or Bootcamp, so try to do that.

So just a few tips to help you get fit and healthy without having to chose between your HEALTH or YOUR HAIR..

Until I write again, until you read again,
Kisses and Misses 

4 comments:

  1. I was actually thinking about going shorter but I don't mind sweating out my du...I have many talents and doing hair is one...I know everybody don't have that capability but honestly thinking short & natural...just thinking though...me getting fit & my health is always #1 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about and I you will be beautiful with whatever you decide.. :)

      Delete
  2. Great feed on health and hair...

    ReplyDelete